Ken Ludwig's Be My Baby
by Ken Ludwig
Full Length Play, Comedy / 3m, 3f
The play tells the story of John, an irascible Scotsman and an uptight English woman, Maude, both in their late 50s, who take on the journey of a lifetime.
"Playwright Ken Ludwig is to contemporary domestic stage comedy what Arthur Miller was to the dramatic theater of his time...With "Be My Baby," he may have unlocked the mystery of filling theater seats." - Contra Costa Times
"Hilarious!" - Variety
"A gentler brand of comedy … It’s a pleasure to encounter a comedy about two mature individuals. [I]t’s perfect." - The Houston Chronicle
"Funny, filled with laughs and a whole lot of fun!" - Contra Costa Times
"Packs a memorable, quiet punch for theatergoers." - The Houston Press
"The "don’t miss" show of the season, a funny, feel-good kind of show that makes you warm all over." - Southwest News
- No Special Cautions
- Minimum Fee: £69 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day, New Millennium/21st Century
- Duration: 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: The play is set in Scotland, a San Francisco hotel room and on various modes of transportation in between.
- Additional Features: Local Celebrity Cameo, Physical Comedy
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Non-Traditional casting
- Expandable casting
- Local Celebrity Cameo
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
- Parts for Senior Actors
Be My Baby had it's world premiere at the Alley Theatre, Gregory Boyd, Artist Director; Terrance Dwyer, Managing Director, on September 30, 2005.