- Winner! 1955 Pulitzer Prize in Drama
"One of the most successful plays of our time…a play of tremendous dramatic impact…enormous theatrical power." — New York Post
"…Williams has fashioned his most compelling characters." — New York Journal-American
"This is a gripping and intensely moving play, a play that can hold its own with anything written in the post-O'Neill American theater…Brilliant scenes, scenes of sudden and lashing dramatic power, break open…There is, indeed, no one moment in the evening when the stinging accuracy of Mr. Williams' ear for human speech is not compellingly in evidence…Mr. Williams is the man of our time who comes closest to hurling the actual blood and bone of life onto the stage; he is also the man whose prose comes closest to being an incisive natural poetry." — The New York Times
- Strong Language
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: £85 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
This title is currently restricted in London, please contact the Licensing Department for further details.
- Time Period: 1950s
- Duration: More than 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: A bed-sitting room and section of the gallery of a plantation home in the Mississippi Delta, an evening in summer. The action is continuous, with two intermissions.
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
Casting8m, 5f, 2boy(s), 2girl(s)
MAE - sometimes called "Sister Woman"
GOOPER - sometimes called "Brother Man"
- Multicultural casting
- Roles for Children
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
- Parts for Senior Actors