Full Length Musical, Drama
Based on the legendary Hilton twins, Daisy and Violet, SIDE SHOW follows their heartwarming search for love and acceptance amidst the spectacle of fame. This version is the updated book and score from the 2014 revival.
Note on Digital Perusal: Samuel French's new digital perusal process grants easy, digital access to music perusals while protecting the intellectual property of our composers, book writers, and lyricists. Samuel French perusals are intended to be used for finding the perfect show to fit your theater, casting pool, and resources. Perusals should be used to get acquainted with the music and script. They cannot be used to hold auditions, produce the show without a license, or find sheet music for a separate performance.
With a completely reworked plot and new songs like "Very Well Connected", "All in the Mind", and "The Great Wedding Show", the 2014 revival delves deeper into the backstory of the Hilton twins. With the implementation of the twins' relationship with Harry Houdini and of a proposed separation surgery, the new book fleshes out characters and situations that endow the songs with more sophistication and truth.
- Nominee! 2015 Drama Desk Award, Best Revival of a Musical
Nominee! 2015 Outer Critics Circle Award, Best Revival of a Musical
"...the musical burrows deep into your spirit...It's just wonderful..." - The New York Times, Read More
"...one of the most emotionally wrenching and altogether satisfying shows in many a moon." - Cititour, Read More
"Condon's fabulous 'revisal' maximizes the material's strengths and minimizes its weaknesses, serving up mesmerizing entertainment veined throughout with haunting poignancy." - The Hollywood Reporter, Read More
"Side Show now takes its place in the pantheon of great American musicals." - The Wrap, Read More
ON BREAKING CHARACTER
Our Picks for The 2019/20 Season: K-12 Edition
April 23, 2019
Top 15 Plays and Musicals About Siblings
April 8, 2019
SIDE SHOW Live: Q&A With Broadway Records Producer, Van Dean
by Ashley Moniz
March 17, 2015
SIDE SHOW Lyricist Bill Russell on Revivals, Opening Nights and The Best Thai Food in Times Square
by Coutney Kochuba
November 10, 2014
SIDE SHOW Says Goodbye, But At What Cost For Broadway?
by Ben Coleman
January 8, 2015
- Mild Adult Themes
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: 1930s
- Duration: More than 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: In and around the Midway, Vaudeville, the Follies, on the road and at the Texas Centennial during the height of the Depression in the 1930s. It is possible to do the piece quite simply. For instance, it works well as a staged concert. But it can also be more elaborate.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Elaborate / High Volume Costumes, Period Costumes
- Musical Style: Contemporary Broadway
- Vocal Demands: Difficult
- Orchestra Size: Large
- Chorus Size: Medium
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Expandable casting
- Multicultural casting
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
Music Material Rental Packages
20 Piano Vocal score
1 full score
1 Piano Conductor
1 Keyboard 2
1 Reed 1
1 Reed 2
1 Violin 1
1 Violin 2
Are you having trouble using your music in its current key? There's no longer a need to waste time with music that may not be working for …Learn More