Candide is an optimist. A dreamer. He believes that everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds. But that belief is about to be tested as Candide’s comfortable life is overtaken by an endless barrage of misfortune. As his world collapses around him, the story travels across the centuries to new locations and parallel universes. How will Candide’s optimism fare when it collides with life in the 21st century?The play is structured around two parallel narratives: one tells the story of Candide’s attempts to reunite with his love Cunegonde; the other follows a woman who experiences a hugely traumatic event as she attempts to find a way back to happiness.
"An extraordinary piece, one that bulges with bright ideas." - The Guardian
An "ingenious and enjoyable take on Voltaire." - The Spectator
"There is also genuine wit and ingenuity on display here and a good deal of ribald humour in the spirit of the original." - The Telegraph
- Gun Shots
- Intense Adult Themes
- Strong Language
- Minimum Fee: £69 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
This title is currently restricted in London, please contact the Licensing Department for further details.
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day, New Millennium/21st Century, 18th Century
- Duration: 105 Minutes
- Setting: The play takes place in the 18th century, in Europe and then El Dorado. Alternately, in the modern era, at a country hotel and then a film studio. Then, at the intersection between the two.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes, Period Costumes
BULGARIAN RECRUITING OFFICER
BULGARIAN RECRUITING SERGEANT
SOLDIERS, INHABITANTS OF EL DORADO, WEALTHY VISITORS TO THE PANGLOSS INSTITUTE, ETC.
- Ensemble cast
- Cross gender casting
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Flexible casting
- Room for Extras
Names of all the characters in the play within the play are indicated in italics.
The original production featured a cast of seven women and nine men.
Note from Mark Ravenhill: I'm happy for any of the parts to be played by whoever, whatever gender. The gendered casting is only a suggestion and the parts are open to anyone wherever they are on the gender spectrum.