A Great Wilderness
Full Length Play, Drama / 3m, 3f
Walt has devoted his life to "curing" teenage boys of their homosexuality at his remote Idaho wilderness camp. Pressured to accept one last client, his life begins to unravel with the arrival of Daniel.
- Samuel D. Hunter is the recipient of a 2014 MacArthur "Genius Grant" Fellowship
Samuel D. Hunter is the 2012 recipient of the Whiting Award for Drama
"Hunter, an Idaho-bred playwright of growing prominence, tunes into a high frequency of empathy for isolated social fringe-dwellers." - Seattle Times, Read More
"[An] affecting drama that strengthens its hold on you bit by unpredictable bit." - Boston Globe, Read More
RELATED ARTICLES ON BREAKING CHARACTER
Forgiveness and Self-Acceptance: A GREAT WILDERNESS
by Julia Izumi
March 16, 2015
- Intense Adult Themes
- Strong Language
- Minimum Fee: £67 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
This title is currently restricted. Please submit a license request to determine availability.
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day, New Millennium/21st Century
- Duration: 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: The common room of a decaying camp on the outskirts of a Wilderness area in Idaho. There are full boxes everywhere, much of the space has been packed up. Only essential furniture remains, along with some camping gear, books including several numbered Bibles, a television, etc. A hallway leads to other bedrooms and a bathroom, a kitchen occupies a section of the stage.
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
DANIEL - 16, male.
ABBY - Mid-to-late sixties, female.
TIM - Mid-to-late sixties, male.
EUNICE - Forties or early fifties, female.
JANET - Late forties or early fifties, female.
VOICEOVER ON THE TELEVISION Male or female.
- Non-Traditional casting