Fourteen year old Laney arrives in Oxford, Mississippi with a twisted back, a mother in crisis and a burning desire to be writer. When she befriends Maribel Purdy, a fervent believer in the power of Jesus Christ to save her from the humiliations of high school, Laney embarks on a hilarious spiritual and sexual journey that challenges her mother's secular worldview and threatens to tear their fragile relationship apart.
"The work of a big accomplished writer's voice...a gem of a discovery." - The New York Times
"Gorgeous almost beyond belief." - The London Times
"This is a wonderfully neat play, at once simple and complex, grappling with big issues - matters of faith, fantasy and the flesh - while keeping its sneakers firmly planted on the suburban topsoil of adolescent angst and domestic frictions." - The Daily Telegraph
RELATED ARTICLES ON BREAKING CHARACTER:
Top 10 Plays With Meaty Roles for Contemporary Young Actresses
by Courtney Kochuba
October 31, 2014
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: £55 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: Oxford, Mississippi. The Water’s house - living room, porch. High school stadium bleachers. Church sanctuary.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
ELISE WATERS - 40s; Laney’s mother.
MARIBEL PURDY - 16; Laney’s friend; chubby and radiant.
- All Female
- Ensemble cast
- Non-Traditional casting
- Roles for Teens
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)
crooked was first performed in a workshop production at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August 2004. It was directed by Elena Hartwell. crooked premiered Off-Broadway at The Women’s Project in New York City in April 2008. It was directed by Liz Diamond.