Lost in Yonkers
by Neil Simon
Full Length Play, Dramatic Comedy / 4m, 3f
By America's great comic playwright, this memory play is set in Yonkers in 1942. Bella is thirty-five years old, mentally challenged, and living at home with her mother, stern Grandma Kurnitz. As the play opens, ne'er-do-well son Eddie deposits his two young sons on the old lady's doorstep. He is financially strapped and taking to the road as a salesman. The boys are left to contend with Grandma, with Bella and her secret romance, and with Louie, her brother, a small-time hoodlum in a strange new world called Yonkers.
- Winner! 1991 Pulitzer Prize for Drama
Winner! Best Play - 1991 Tony® Award
Reviews"The best play Simon ever wrote." - New York Post
"Broadway desperately needs a comedy, a drama, and a hit. With Lost in Yonkers, Mr. Simon has given us all three." - Wall Street Journal
"One of Simon's most impressive and funniest plays." - New York Daily News
"Laughter and tears have come together in a new emotional truth. There are moments in this play when you experience a new kind of laughter for Simon, a silent laughter that doesn't explode into a yuk but implodes straight into your heart." -Newsweek
- Minimum Fee: £69 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
Please submit a license request to determine availability.
- Time Period: 1940s / WWII
- Setting: Yonkers, New York. 1942.
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)