Full Length Musical, Comedy / 4m, 3f
"Totally beguiling [...] foot stomping soul food." - New York Post
Note on Digital Perusal: Samuel French's new digital perusal process grants easy, digital access to music perusals while protecting the intellectual property of our composers, book writers, and lyricists. Samuel French perusals are intended to be used for finding the perfect show to fit your theater, casting pool, and resources. Perusals should be used to get acquainted with the music and script. They cannot be used to hold auditions, produce the show without a license, or find sheet music for a separate performance.
"Totally beguiling [...] foot-stomping soul food." - New York Post
"Wildly funny [...] So well written that I found myself laughing, rooting for the family, and singing along and clapping with the rest of the audience." - The Trentonian
"Exhilarating! [...] A rollicking [...] cornpone Chorus Line." - Variety
"A sophisticated audience went simply wild." - Philadelphia Daily News
"A charming and funny celebration of Americana." - The New York Times
- No Special Cautions
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Time Period: 1930s
- Duration: 105 Minutes
- Setting: The sanctuary of the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church in Mount Pleasant, North Carolina, located just west of Hickory near the Blue Ridge Mountains. It is a Saturday night in June, 1938.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: Country/Western
- Vocal Demands: Moderate
- Orchestra Size: Piano Only
- Chorus Size: No Chorus
BURL SANDERS - father, 40s
VERA SANDERS - mother, 40s
STANLEY SANDERS - uncle, late 40s
DENNIS and DENISE SANDERS - twins, 17
JUNE SANDERS - sister, 23
- Roles for Teens
Smoke on the Mountain was first presented at the McCarter Theatre in July, 1988. It was subsequently produced at the Lamb's Theatre Company in New York, opening on May 13, 1990.