by Jay Presson Allen, Truman Capote
Full Length Play, Drama / 1m
Winner! 1990 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding One-Person Show
Adapted from the words and works of Truman Capote, Tru takes place in the writer's New York City apartment during the week before Christmas 1975. An excerpt from Capote's infamous novel Answered Prayers has recently been published in Esquire and the author's friends, recognizing the characters as thinly veiled versions of themselves, have turned their back on the man they once considered a close confidant.
- Winner! 1990 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding One-Person Show
"We have glimpsed the interior man...The writing is wry, economical, skillfully indirect, acerbic and when called upon, judiciously vulgar." - Los Angeles Times
"It is two hours spent on the edge, balancing precariously between comedy and tragedy, between laughter and tears, between the raucousness of exuberant performance and the quiet whimpers of inner torment...Any who remember Capote's look-at-me flamboyance...would have to wonder if he would continue to exist without an audience. That you are watching Capote face the prospect of such a life while you are a member of an audience just adds a touch of surreality...The only real problem is that, as must have been the case with most evenings spent in Capote's presence, it ends all too soon." - The Baltimore Sun
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: £55 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
- Time Period: 1970s
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: Truman Capote's New York apartment at 870 United Nations Plaza. One week before Christmas, 1975.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
VOICE OF JAN
VOICE OF OPERATOR
VOICE OF MRS. FERGUSON
VOICE OF THE SECRETARY
- Strong Role for Leading Man (Star Vehicle)
Characters include four additional female voices, but the play is performed by a single male actor.