The Luck of the Irish
Full Length Play, Drama / 4m, 5f, 1boy(s)
When an upwardly mobile African-American couple wants to buy a home in an all-white neighborhood in 1950’s Boston, they pay a struggling Irish family to “ghost-buy” a house on their behalf.
Reviews"Perfect! A smart and lovingly observed heartbreaker." - Newsday, Read More
"Moving and thought-provoking!" - NY Post, Read More
"Four stars. Spellbinding." - Bloomberg News, Read More
"Greenidge moves imaginatively between past and present." - Backstage, Read More
- Mild Adult Themes
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day, 1950s
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Setting: A medium sized suburban town on the outskirts of Boston, Massachusetts, which was formerly colonial and brimming with old New England stock, but by the very early twentieth century, predominantly Irish Catholic. By the time we meet this town, the Italians have arrived, followed by bands of others throughout the twentieth century. By the early twenty first century it is not so much diverse as it is tolerant of those who are “other” as it is still predominantly white. The action takes place in the late 1950s and 2000’s.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes, Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
Casting4m, 5f, 1boy(s)
HANNAH DAVIS - mid thirties, black, the Taylor’s granddaughter.
MR. DONOVAN - early eighties, first generation Irish American.
JOE DONOVAN - very early thirties, Mr. Donovan’s younger self.
PATTY ANN DONOVAN - very early thirties, second generation Irish American, Joe’s wife.
LUCY TAYLOR - mid thirties, Boston Brahmin black.
REX TAYLOR - mid thirties, but older than Lucy, Lucy’s husband, tranplant from Northern Virginia, black.
RICH DAVIS - same age as Hannah, Hannah’s husband, transplant from DC.
MRS. DONOVAN - early eighties, an elderly Patty Ann.
MILES - nine, Hannah and Rich’s son.
OFF STAGE VOICES - Two young girls
- Ensemble cast
- Multicultural casting
- Parts for Senior Actors