by Kieron Barry
Short Play, Dark Comedy / 4f
Mean Girls meets Lord of the Flies. This brutal and hilarious one-act comedy, set in an all-girls' boarding school, depicts a vicious battle of wills between four Sixth Form girls in the hour before a new Head Girl is announced.
This brutal and hilarious one-act play was declared one of the greatest plays of all time for women in Lucy Kerbel’s volume 100 Great Plays For Women. Set in an all-girls’ boarding school, Numbers depicts a vicious battle of wills between four Sixth Form girls in the hour before a new Head Girl is announced. As the girls vie for the coveted position, old friendships and loyalties give way to ambition and betrayal. Nothing is too extreme in a battle which increasingly proves less about the disputed role and more about how the girls’ conflicting ideologies of class, privilege and morality will affect the rest of their lives.
- In 2009 Kieron Barry was nominated for the Charles Wintour Award for Most Promising Playwright at the London Evening Standard Theatre Awards. He
was also made a Norman Mailer Fellow.
Reviews"...clever, fast-paced, witty and caustic... well-crafted and wonderfully funny." - Time Out London
"Kieron Barry's [Numbers] is a wonderfully crafted, well-constructed and deftly thought out piece of theatre." - The Stage, London
"This well constructed, four-hander is chock full of wit and littered with class wars...great entertainment." - Edinburgh Fringe Festival
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: £52 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
- Time Period: Contemporary, Present Day
- Duration: 60 minutes (1 hour)
- Setting: An English boarding school.
- Additional Features: No intermission
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
- All Female