After receiving a letter from beyond the grave, Carla Crale believes her mother, who died in prison, was wrongly convicted of her father’s murder. In a passionate attempt to clear her name, she persuades those present on the day of her father’s death to return to the scene of the crime and “go back” 16 years to recount their version of events.
An unusual take on the traditional murder mystery, the action of the play slips seamlessly from past to present, examining the danger of relying on personal testimony warped by time, prejudice and perception. By studying each suspect’s testimony, and the various inconsistencies between them, the drama arrives at a disturbing and terrible truth.
“Demonstrates the author’s uncanny skill. The answer to the riddle is brilliant.”
CASTING: 4 women, 6 men
“Agatha Christie's Go Back for Murder, which deals with family values and filial devotion, has a lot to recommend it. It is a classic whodunit filled with red herrings … a subplot of romantic love." - Leah D. Frank, The New York Times
“A subtle and ingenious detective story, an elegiac love story and a masterful example of storytelling technique, with five separate accounts of one devastating event. Christie's greatest achievement.” - John Curran, The Guardian on Five Little Pigs, the story on which this play is based
"Demonstrates the author's uncanny skill. The answer to the riddle is brilliant." - Maurice Willson Disher, The Times
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: £69 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
This title is currently restricted. Please submit a license request to determine availability.
- Time Period: 1940s / WWII, 1930s
- Duration: More than 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: The action of Act One takes place in several locations, including the offices of Justin Fogg and Philip Blake, a hotel suite, the bedsit of Miss Williams and an Asian restaurant.
Act Two takes place at Alderbury, a house in the West of England.
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: N/A (Not a musical)
- Vocal Demands: N/A (Not a musical)
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
- Expandable casting
CARLA and her mother, CAROLINE CRALE, are played by the same actress.