Gay's the Word
by Ivor Novello, Alan Melville
Full Length Musical, Comedy / 17m, 24f
Gay Daventry, a producer and stage star, goes bankrupt when her new London operetta, similar to a Ruritanian Ivor Novello musical, is a disappointing failure. She agrees with the show's ingénue, Linda, to open a drama school with Linda's money at Gay's country house in Folkestone. Meanwhile, two smugglers hope to use the school as a front for their illegal activities. When she finally presents her show at Town Hall, Gay unexpectedly finds herself onstage with her cast members, and ultimately attempts to auction off her valuables in an attempt to save her school. Little does she know that insodoing she will foil the smugglers and maybe even turn out a hit new show!
Reviews"Written shortly before his death in 1951, Ivor Novello's last musical earns a footnote in the history books." - The Guardian
"Gay’s the Word, being a musical comedy about putting on an amateur musical comedy, is an ideal production for a small company" - The Telegraph
- Licensing fees and rental materials quoted upon application.
- Duration: More than 120 minutes (2 hours)
- Setting: Various: a provincial theatre, the Deventry School of Acting, the town of Folkestone, etc.
- Features / Contains: Period Costumes
- Musical Style: Classic Broadway, Operetta
- Vocal Demands: Moderate
- Chorus Size: Large
- Ensemble cast
- Reduced casting (Doubling Possible)
- Expandable casting
- Flexible casting
- Room for Extras
- Strong Role for Leading Woman (Star Vehicle)