Short Play, Comedy / 2m, 3f
From the author of the popular BACKGROUND ARTISTE comes this hilarious companion piece which focuses on the zany world of the movie extra. Novice Mary is sent to the film shoot of a dubious sci-fi movie.
From the author of the popular BACKGROUND ARTISTE comes this hilarious companion piece which focuses on the zany world of the movie extra. Novice Mary is sent to the film shoot of a dubious sci-fi movie. At the early-morning call in the church hall-cum-film crew canteen, she is initiated by seasoned pros, morose Malcolm and camp Roddy, but with the arrival of wealthy, eccentric Victoria, matters become decidedly wacky. Can Samantha with her clipboard keep everyone in check, on cue, in costume - and disentangle her love life ?
Based on the author's own experiences as a film extra the play can be performed by itself or as a double bill with BACKGROUND ARTIST. Both plays contain the character of Mary with this being her first shoot having joined the agency in the previous play. It was originally performed in a double bill entitled Lights Camera Action.
- Mild Adult Themes
- Minimum Fee: £30 per performance plus VAT when applicable.
- Time Period: Contemporary
- Duration: 40 minutes
- Setting: A church hall in winter at 6.30am. The hall is being used as the canteen for a film crew on location. Centrally at the rear of the hall is a pair of double doors through which all entrances are made. On the L wall is a display of children`s paintings and on the r wall is a notice-board with various church notices and local events. R of the doors are several children`s toys scattered about and L is a large table. UR is a smaller tablewith two chairs. UL is anothe table with two chairs.
- Additional Features: Not Applicable
- Features / Contains: Contemporary Costumes / Street Clothes, Fantasy Costumes
- Chorus Size: N/A (Not a musical)
- Room for Extras
As it is being used as a canteen the play can have as many extras as the director wishes as long as the don`t upstage the action. If presented as a double bill with Background Artiste there is room for doubling with both casts and the original production had Jessica/Sam and End/Victoria played by the same actresses. In theory both plays could have the same cast.